Deferred action to “DREAM”ers (DACA)

Were you brought to the U.S. as a child but now need a work permit? You may be eligible for one. The basic principle behind President Obama’s June 15, 2012 announcement is the government’s willingness to provide opportunities for individuals who were brought into the U.S. as children, the chance to finally live normal lives in possibly the only country you know, the United States.

Being granted deferred action means that the U.S. government will not attempt to remove you from the U.S., and in the meantime, would allow you the extendable opportunity to obtain valid employment authorization that would enable to work, seek a driver’s license, and a social security number. Unfortunately, as a general rule, deferred action does not grant legal status, the ability to travel outside the U.S., or to join the military.

The eligibility criteria, as it currently stands, applies to people who:

  1. Were born after June 15, 1981;
  2. Arrived in the United States before the age of 16;
  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Were present in the United States on June 15, 2012;
  5. Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012 or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
  6. Are currently in school, graduated or received a certificate of completion from high school, obtained a general educational development certificate (GED), or that you are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or U.S. Armed Forces; and
  7. Are at least 15 years of age at the time of filing.

Certain factors, such as having a criminal record, can bar eligibility. Because the process is not risk free for all possible applicants, one should exercise great care in seeking deferred action and should not attempt to obtain it without consulting a competent immigration attorney.

We have helped many, many individuals obtain deferred action status. We have also seen individuals unnecessarily postpone a great benefit due to confusion or worry. Don’t let this be you.

Schedule a Consultation

Call Toll Free: (909) 746-9000

If you entered the U.S. as a child and were born after June 15, 1981, please contact the immigration lawyers at R. Bracken & Associates, Attorneys at Law. We have a great amount of experience helping people obtain approved self-petitions and who are now lawful permanent residents. Call today to schedule a free initial consultation. Our immigration attorneys will confidentially listen to your specific needs and goals and clearly explain how they can help. To learn more, please contact us today to schedule a consultation at an office near you.

Se Habla Español – Credit Card Accepted – Payment Plans Available

Our offices are located near neighborhoods in Riverside County, San Bernardino County, and the Inland Empire. Evening and weekend appointments are available. Please contact us today to schedule an initial consultation at an office near you.

Contact R. Bracken & Associates, Attorneys at Law