Removal of Conditions (I-751)

peaceful pathIn instances where an alien has been granted permanent residency through his or her spouse, and within two years of entering the marriage, the residency status is usually deemed “conditional”.  You can tell if  your status is conditional when your residency card has an expiration date that is two years from the admission date instead of ten years.  Due to the Immigration Marriage Fraud Amendments (IMFA), Congress has mandated that conditional permanent residents must follow a comprehensive procedure to have the conditional status removed.  Conditional residents who do not comply with the requirements at the end of the two-year period will find that their residency status is automatically “terminated” by the Immigration Service after the two year anniversary of issuance and they are normally placed into removal proceedings before an Immigration Judge thereafter.

Should the alien resident and spouse remain married near the end of the two year period, a jointly signed petition with supporting documents should be filed within ninety days of the second anniversary of the grant of conditional status.  Sometimes both spouses will also be required to appear at a personal interview with the immigration service before conditions are removed.

Occasionally marriages terminate prior to the second anniversary.  In this circumstance the conditional status can usually still be removed so long as a waiver based upon a bona fide marriage is approved by the Immigration Service.

Schedule a Consultation: (909) 746-9000

We are very experienced in filing joint petitions as well as in situations where waiver petitions are necessary due to death or divorce.  You can obtain the removal of conditions on your green card.  We can assist you on your I-751 application whether you are now living in the United States or in your home country.  Our immigration attorneys assist clients from across the nation and around the world from our offices in Southern California.

If you need help removing conditions on a green card, please contact the immigration lawyers at R. Bracken & Associates, Attorneys at Law.  We have a great amount of experience helping people just like you.  Call today to schedule an initial consultation. Our immigration attorneys will listen carefully to your specific needs and goals and clearly explain how they can help. To learn more, please contact us today to schedule a consultation at an office near you.

Se Habla Español  –  Credit Card Accepted  –  Payment Plans Available

Our offices are located in San Bernardino County and the Inland Empire. Evening and weekend appointments are available. Please contact us today to schedule an initial consultation at an office near you.

Contact R. Bracken & Associates, Attorneys at Law